I started my dress with drafting a mock pattern. I used the top of this pattern as a basis for my pattern (but it was changed. A LOT).
This is my mock pattern done with newspaper pinned to my dress form (her name is Dummi). I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing yet so there was a lot of trimming, pinning, and estimations.
I know, fast forwarded. And most of my zippers are going the wrong way >< All of this was done in a large baste stitch so I was able to take it apart. The pattern drafting was long and strenuous so not many pictures were taken. (Isn't the mint a lovely colour? :D)
Here's a close up of the top. This was probably one of the HARDEST parts to draft. I was constantly unsatisfied with the placement of the zippers.
I took this picture when I was still fixing my mock up... For some reason the bottom wasn't lying very nicely. Not really sure why, it still (in the final version) isn't as perfect as I'd like but it's a lot better. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THIS MESS THOUGH :P
Then I fixed the mock up, and I think it turned out pretty well. I took a bunch of pictures from all different angles so you guys can see how the fabric lays and stuff like that. After this it's finally onto my pink fabric<3
Here's the mock taken apart, just to give you guys an idea of what the pattern looks like (in case you're looking to replicate this, which if you're reading this, I'm assuming you are xD)
The fabric I ended up using was a pale pink cotton (I'm pretty sure it was Symphony Broadcloth but I'm not 100% certain). And for once I actually had to buy thread to match ^^;;
My mock up was then placed on my fabric and I cut out my dress pieces :D The cotton was very thin so every piece was double layered.
On the left, ALL the extra fabric I had. (Seriously I could probably make two more dresses .__. I hate buying excess fabric, but it always seems to happen). In the center, all my pieces for Kairi's dress. On the right, all my tiny scraps (before they met Mr. Trashcan).
Quality time with my serger. All the dress pieces were serged because I like finished edges and it essentially sewed the "double layered" fabric together. (AND SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WAS A LINING. PFFT. -Lazy-)
The dressed pinned and all the pieces serged before I sewed it together. I'm really running out of stuff to say in these captions. >< What I may think is self-explanatory may not be for other people D:
My old sewing machine. (I share it with my mother) I LOVE IT. I don't care that it's old. It runs so smoothly and I rarely have ANY problems. Bernina for the win<3
Here are all the pieces before the zippers are sewn in. Basically the back panel is already sewn to the two side panels and then there's a zipper (on each side) then the two frontal middle panels (with a zipper in between them).
The front is shown here. I had to triple check my zippers over and over again or else everything would be wonky and going the wrong way. Also, FUN TIP: Always iron. It may seem stupid and tedious, but in the end the result will look MUCH cleaner and neat. The fabric will lay nicer and it's just easier to work with when your fabric is ironed. JUST DO IT.
This picture shows the whole frontal panel. It's kinda confusing just looking at it, but Square Enix likes to have lots of zippers that don't make sense. So that's how the dress looks xD After this I sewed on the zippers and attached it to the back.
I was too lazy to put in the 12382138 pictures of just zippers. I'm pretty sure you guys can Google a picture of Kairi and see how her zippers go. Plus sewing zippers aren't that hard D: (Just look up a tutorial if you don't know how ><) This is when I sewed the front of the dress to the back. (Remember: Always have the right sides together :D)
And then you have it. The main part of Kairi's dress<3 Here's a ton of pictures for you guys to ogle at :3 I always think it looks better on an actual person than the dress form because in some places, the dress looks a little weird but when it's on it doesn't look NEARLY as bad xD Keep tuned for the tank top and hood part of her dress. I might even put in my shoe painting progress.